Share The Electric Speakeasy with a friend.

Christopher Columbus Of Asia

This is the place to discuss everything from the American Revolution up through WWI. The people, places, and events following WWII can be discussed here as well.
Hakaider
Martyr of Traditional Anarchism

Christopher Columbus Of Asia

Postby Hakaider » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:04 pm

About 87 years before Christopher Columbus had discovered the Americas, a Chinese Admiral named "Zheng He" sailed his vast fleet between 1405 to 1433 to Southeast Asia, India, Middle East, Africa, and even to the outer fringes of Europe. (And even traveled possibly to the Americas.)

Zheng He was born of a Muslim family in Yunnan in the southwestern part of China in 1371, and his ancestors were Arabs who immigrated into China & intermarried with the locals during the Tang and Song dynasties. (However, despite his Muslim family background, he became tolerant of all faiths.) Zheng rose through the ranks as a soldier, and was a military veteran of several campaigns against the Mongols from the Yuan Dyansty. He helped the Emperor Cheng Zu in his rise to the throne, and establishing the Ming Dynasty. (1368-1644) He also became a close friend, and a personal adviser to the Emperor. (He was also a eunuch, and never married for obvious reasons.)

In 1404, Emperor Cheng Zu commissioned Zheng He to go out & explore the world, and gave him the authority to build one of the the biggest fleet that history has ever known. (The Emperor wanted to know what was out there, and the exploration was also for establishing future colonies & to establish new trade sea routes.)

Zheng He's ships were more bigger & in some ways, more advanced technologically than Christopher Columbus's ships. (In some ways, they were even more ship worthy than Columbus's "La Santa Maria".) From 1402 to 1433, his fleet went as far as Southeast Asia, Middle East, India, Africa, and even to the outer fringes of Europe. (His fleet may even have traveled to the Americas.)

Unfortunately, Emperor Cheng Zu passed away in 1424, and a new Hongxi Emperor rose to the throne. The new Emperor, ordered the fleet to return to China, and banned all future explorations. The close minded Emperor felt that China was already the center of the universe, and to him, any future exploration, as well as having establishing future colonies were a complete waste of time & resources. Zheng He fell into disfavor, and fell into obscurity. He was believed to have died at sea during the return trip to the to Hormuz in 1433, and his body was never recovered.

Had Zheng He been allowed to continue with his journeys, and expand new colonies, the history of the Americas would have turned out very differently.
(It would have been the United States of China, instead of America.) It would also have been likely that Japan, Philippines, Guam, Hawaii, Polynesia, and even Australia would have been annexed as well, since China was a global power at that time. (Europe had barely just climbed out of the Middle Ages, and were still involved in constant wars in their continent, when Admiral Zheng He started exploring the world.)

n11pilot
Deadbeat Historian
Favorite Period Film: Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Favorite Classic Film: The Thin Man

Re: Christopher Columbus Of Asia

Postby n11pilot » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:23 pm

Interesting post, Hak. I remember reading about Zheng He also known as Cheng Ho way back in college. I remember in particular two things; one is that he gave small bronze tribute cannons to many of the rulers of the nations he had visited with the treasure fleet, the other is that the eunuch part could have been an honorary title. Well at least every male student in the class hoped so. :)
"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials""
George Mason, 16 June 1788

Hakaider

Postby Hakaider » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:52 pm

Well at least every male student in the class hoped so.

Depending on the Dynasty & the time period, eunuchs were traditionally held in high regard by the Emperor of China. One of the reasons that the Emperor trusted a eunuch so greatly, was because they were immune to being seduced or be "distracted" by the females concubines in the Emperor's court. The female concubines actually held a lot of power politically behind the scenes, and they were sometimes, the real power behind the throne.

But, I'm sure it was a position that the male members of his class were not in a hurry to line up for. :mrgreen:

n11pilot
Deadbeat Historian
Favorite Period Film: Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Favorite Classic Film: The Thin Man

Postby n11pilot » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:19 am

To quote ET, "Ooouch." :)
"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials""
George Mason, 16 June 1788

Super Ordinary Guy
Fedora Chronicles Official Meteorologist
Favorite Period Film: Maltese Falcon

Postby Super Ordinary Guy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:15 pm

Hakaider wrote:
Well at least every male student in the class hoped so.

Depending on the Dynasty & the time period, eunuchs were traditionally held in high regard by the Emperor of China. One of the reasons that the Emperor trusted a eunuch so greatly, was because they were immune to being seduced or be "distracted" by the females concubines in the Emperor's court. The female concubines actually held a lot of power politically behind the scenes, and they were sometimes, the real power behind the throne.

But, I'm sure it was a position that the male members of his class were not in a hurry to line up for. :mrgreen:

Heh HEH, he said male members :mrgreen:
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.

Hakaider

Postby Hakaider » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:14 pm

SOG-You just never fail to crack me up. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cousi
Fed Chron Mod
Favorite Period Film: "Mine Isn't In This List!"
Favorite Classic Film: Maltese Falcon

Postby Cousi » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:51 pm

Great article Hak. Where do you find these wonderful tidbits of history?
"When the mob and the press and the whole WORLD tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the River of Truth and tell the whole WORLD:

'No, YOU move.'" - Captain America

"There is nothing more powerful than an idea whose time has come."
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
- Victor Hugo

Veritas et Lux et Vitae

Hakaider

Postby Hakaider » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:27 am

Thanks Cousi. :)

Yeah...I just like to look at historical events that's not usually covered on the mainstream side of history in the West. :oops:

Maybe that's why I like Indiana Jones so much.:mrgreen:

Blackthorn
Wanderer
Favorite Period Film: Cinderella Man
Favorite Classic Film: Casablanca

Postby Blackthorn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:36 pm

Very interesting, Hakaider!
Sam, if it's December, 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York? I bet they're asleep in New York. I bet they're asleep all over America.

Return to “Recent Past - Prohibition, The Great Depression...”