The Sandwich Thread

What do you like to eat and drink, where are the best restaurants. Brag about the last great thing you cooked.

Moderator: DanielJones

Re: The Sandwich Thread

Postby DanielJones » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:51 pm

I've been on the perpetual left coast hunt for a pastrami sandwich that could be a second to Katz's Delicatessen in New York. I know, a tall order. I wish I had the kind of money needed to get a sandwich fix like that. Just plunk down and hop a plane to go have a stacked sandwich at Katz's. :cry:

Cheers!

Dan
"I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it call itself my home, my fatherland, or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use - silence, exile, and cunning." - James Joyce
User avatar
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod
 
Posts: 3046
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:14 pm
Location: Nearer to the Columbia River
Favorite Period Film: Seabiscuit
Favorite Classic Film: The Thin Man

Re: The Sandwich Thread

Postby davidg » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:48 pm

Katz's is just a great place! A bit too touristy for me now.. but their food is GREAT!..
User avatar
davidg
Knight Templar
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:34 pm
Location: Brooklyn NY
Favorite Period Film: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Favorite Classic Film: The Thin Man

Re: The Sandwich Thread

Postby Indy Parise » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:35 pm

There's a few places outside of NY where one can get a decent Katz's style deli sandwich. In Edison, NJ there's a place called Harold's that's similar, but even bigger portions. Then, in Chicago, there's Manny's, which has a more cafeteria-like setup, but has awesome food, and Eleven City Diner that does great sandwiches, but also excels at their breakfast.
Bongiorno Principessa!
User avatar
Indy Parise
Resident Greaser
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:38 pm
Location: Hell if I know
Favorite Period Film: Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Favorite Classic Film: Casablanca

Re: The Sandwich Thread

Postby n11pilot » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:24 pm

davidg wrote:Katz's is just a great place! A bit too touristy for me now.. but their food is GREAT!..



I have to say Katz's makes the best Reuben ever. Not being a New Yorker I know I fall into the tourist category but could you make an exception for a fellow fedora wearer? :)
"Patriotism means to stand by your country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official, save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country."
Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
n11pilot
Deadbeat Historian
 
Posts: 4486
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:46 pm
Location: Maryland
Favorite Period Film: Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Favorite Classic Film: The Thin Man

Re: The Sandwich Thread

Postby CharlieB » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:05 am

davidg wrote:My wife had picked up a jar of Chow Chow from a catalog food company. I've been told this is an older southern sort of thing. So far, I've found it quite good, though different on burgers and roast beef.
Any other ideas? Has anyone else run into this stuff before? If you liked it, what did you use it on?


Cow-Chow is actually Pennsylvania German (AKA PA Dutch).

Typical German meals are a meat, a starch and a sour. Love the stuff, along with pickled beats and pepper-cabbage (a vinegar based slaw).
“The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.”
- Winston Churchill
User avatar
CharlieB
Martyr of Traditional Anarchism
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:09 pm
Location: Carlisle PA
Favorite Period Film: Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Favorite Classic Film: The Big Sleep

Re: The Sandwich Thread

Postby n11pilot » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:55 am

CharlieB wrote:
davidg wrote:My wife had picked up a jar of Chow Chow from a catalog food company. I've been told this is an older southern sort of thing. So far, I've found it quite good, though different on burgers and roast beef.
Any other ideas? Has anyone else run into this stuff before? If you liked it, what did you use it on?


Cow-Chow is actually Pennsylvania German (AKA PA Dutch).

Typical German meals are a meat, a starch and a sour. Love the stuff, along with pickled beats and pepper-cabbage (a vinegar based slaw).



Wow! That is a childhood memory that is as good as I remember. Until now I didn't know it was a Pennsylvania Dutch thing, I just remember using it a lot as a child.
"Patriotism means to stand by your country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official, save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country."
Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
n11pilot
Deadbeat Historian
 
Posts: 4486
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:46 pm
Location: Maryland
Favorite Period Film: Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Favorite Classic Film: The Thin Man

Re: The Sandwich Thread

Postby davidg » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:08 am

If any of you are in, around, or going to Buffalo NY, .. find a place that has "Beef on Weck" Prefereably a restaurant that has been around ..awhile.. . The newer ones don't really do it well.. Essentially a roast beef sandwich on a kimulweck roll with LOTS of salt on it.. and typically served with horseradish.. Simple and wonderful.. I'll try to get some recommendations and post them later.
User avatar
davidg
Knight Templar
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:34 pm
Location: Brooklyn NY
Favorite Period Film: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Favorite Classic Film: The Thin Man

Re: The Sandwich Thread

Postby n11pilot » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:56 am

davidg wrote:If any of you are in, around, or going to Buffalo NY, .. find a place that has "Beef on Weck" Prefereably a restaurant that has been around ..awhile.. . The newer ones don't really do it well.. Essentially a roast beef sandwich on a kimulweck roll with LOTS of salt on it.. and typically served with horseradish.. Simple and wonderful.. I'll try to get some recommendations and post them later.




That sounds like something I had when I went to the University of Maryland. There used to be a restaurant there called Bently's and they had a sandwich that was roast beef with horseradish on the side. The interesting thing about the sandwich was the roll which had a soft pretzel like quality to it and was covered with large grains of salt. One of those and a cold draft was lunch.
"Patriotism means to stand by your country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official, save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country."
Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
n11pilot
Deadbeat Historian
 
Posts: 4486
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:46 pm
Location: Maryland
Favorite Period Film: Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Favorite Classic Film: The Thin Man

Re: The Sandwich Thread

Postby davidg » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:52 pm

n11pilot wrote:I have to say Katz's makes the best Reuben ever. Not being a New Yorker I know I fall into the tourist category but could you make an exception for a fellow fedora wearer? :)


No problem at all! Its the one's in shorts and flip flops who don't really know how to walk in crowds who give me problems ;-) Some tourists don't quite realize that a NYC walking pace is what in some areas might be called a jog! and they they insist on stopping with their whole clan, in the middle of the sidewalk so suddenly EVERYONE has to walk around them.
Could be worse! They might be spending their money elsewhere! Were I to meet you there, we could both go down to DBA's, a few blocks from Katz's and try some of their MANY fine Scotches!
User avatar
davidg
Knight Templar
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:34 pm
Location: Brooklyn NY
Favorite Period Film: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Favorite Classic Film: The Thin Man

Re: The Sandwich Thread

Postby davidg » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:55 pm

n11pilot wrote:That sounds like something I had when I went to the University of Maryland. There used to be a restaurant there called Bently's and they had a sandwich that was roast beef with horseradish on the side. The interesting thing about the sandwich was the roll which had a soft pretzel like quality to it and was covered with large grains of salt. One of those and a cold draft was lunch.


This is pretty darned good definition of the sandwich!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_on_weck_sandwich

and though this roll does NOT look quite right to me, it looks eminently edible!
http://www.buffalochow.com/2008/01/beef ... amous.html
User avatar
davidg
Knight Templar
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:34 pm
Location: Brooklyn NY
Favorite Period Film: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Favorite Classic Film: The Thin Man

Re: The Sandwich Thread

Postby n11pilot » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:47 pm

davidg wrote:
n11pilot wrote:That sounds like something I had when I went to the University of Maryland. There used to be a restaurant there called Bently's and they had a sandwich that was roast beef with horseradish on the side. The interesting thing about the sandwich was the roll which had a soft pretzel like quality to it and was covered with large grains of salt. One of those and a cold draft was lunch.


This is pretty darned good definition of the sandwich!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_on_weck_sandwich

and though this roll does NOT look quite right to me, it looks eminently edible!
http://www.buffalochow.com/2008/01/beef ... amous.html



Oh my God, that looks so good! The cut of beef looks the same but the roll is a little different. I guess I will have to try the original.
"Patriotism means to stand by your country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official, save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country."
Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
n11pilot
Deadbeat Historian
 
Posts: 4486
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:46 pm
Location: Maryland
Favorite Period Film: Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Favorite Classic Film: The Thin Man

Re: The Sandwich Thread

Postby Super Ordinary Guy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:47 am

Looks great, especially the roll
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.
User avatar
Super Ordinary Guy
Fedora Chronicles Official Meteorologist
 
Posts: 2251
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:49 pm
Location: Pittsburgh
Favorite Period Film: Maltese Falcon

Re: The Sandwich Thread

Postby DanielJones » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:16 pm

If you are ever in Portland, OR., try the pastrami sandwich at Kenny & Zukes. One of the best I've had on the west coast. They bake their own breads and I they make their own pastrami.
http://www.kennyandzukes.com/
Image

Pastrami: Briskets are wet cured for 5 days, rubbed with coriander and pepper, and smoked for eight hours with oak. It’s not a New York pastrami, or a Montreal smoked meat, though it’s more akin to what Zane Caplansky is doing… somewhere smoky back in the Romanian tradition. It’s salty, aromatic, spicy, and hand cut. Oh yeah…you didn’t think they’d put all that beauty on a machine, did you? The result is something that shocks the mouth, a full flavor that envelops the tastebuds, and smothers them in melting fat. It’s astounding.


And if you are in town and are going there for lunch, you better let me know so I can join you. :wink:

Cheers!

Dan
"I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it call itself my home, my fatherland, or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use - silence, exile, and cunning." - James Joyce
User avatar
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod
 
Posts: 3046
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:14 pm
Location: Nearer to the Columbia River
Favorite Period Film: Seabiscuit
Favorite Classic Film: The Thin Man

Previous

Return to The Connoisseur

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron