Famous Moustaches

Everything to go with the lid when going to the office, a night on the town and special occasions. Looking sharp in your vintage/retro clothing has never been so easy... This is also your table to discuss and contribute to the conversations about reproducing the "Great Detective" look. Humphrey Bogart in "Casablanca" and "The Maltese Falcon" and William Powell in "The Thin Man" are just two great examples!

Also known as "Detective Gear"

Famous Moustaches

Postby DanielJones » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:11 am

Thought it would be interesting to post pictures of famous and not so famous moustache wearers. From the celebrity all the way dow to the obscure Turkish villager. Post pics of the cookie dusters that made an impression throughout history. Lets tee the good and the evil ones. The fairly normal to the surreal. Petite ones to massive spanners that defy the laws of physics. Actors, their characters, Generals, soldiers, politicians, farmers. You name it, any Dirt Squirrel in history that has made an impression will fit the bill here.

I'll start out with a few.

Albert Einstein.

Salvador Dali

Charlie Chaplin

Bring it on folks! Let's see those soup strainers, be it soeone elses or even your for that matter. I know several of you here have your own hairy filter that has adorned your upper lip for some time. Be proud, show it off. How long have you had yours in place?

Enjoy and have fun with this one.

Cheers!

Dan
"I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it call itself my home, my fatherland, or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use - silence, exile, and cunning." - James Joyce
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Favorite Period Film: Seabiscuit
Favorite Classic Film: The Thin Man

Re: Famous Moustaches

Postby Doug Palumbo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:40 pm

Great idea for a thread Dan!
Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit

Doug Palumbo
Fedora Chronicles Staff

Favorite Period Film: The Untouchables

Postby DanielJones » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:00 pm

Thanks Doug! The idea really sprang from the Great Moustaches coffee mug my wife recently got me on a whim.

It got me thinking that there are more that just a few great & famous moustaches around the world than what they showcaased on this coffee mug.

Women can get in on the act too. Frida Kahlo for instance. Those eyebrows were sort of a Dali like moustache. :?

Heck, even Cartoons can get in on the act. Yosemite Sam sported a real corker.

And so on.

Cheers!

Dan
"I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it call itself my home, my fatherland, or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use - silence, exile, and cunning." - James Joyce
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby AeroDillo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:04 pm

This man's moustache -

...has been known to conquer small Caribbean nations. On its own.

If you fly, you should also recognize this one. If you don't...cough up your wings.

And here's a whole pile of them. Military history students ought to be able to identify at least three figures in this one.

Get it together? Lady, last time my people got it together it took most of Robert E. Lee's backyard to bury the evidence.
AeroDillo
Usual Suspect

Favorite Period Film: Once Upon A Time in America.
Favorite Classic Film: Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Postby DanielJones » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:05 pm

In my searches for a Fez hat I came across this true spanner on a Turkish man. Truly an epic cookie duster.

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby Henri Defense » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Tom Selleck IS moustache.

Sam Elliot. 'Nuff said.

And finally, a man never to be crossed. Wyatt Earp.

Henri
"Be always drunken. Nothing else matters: that is the only question. If you would not feel the horrible burden of Time weighing on your shoulders and crushing you to the earth, be drunken continually. Drunken with what? With wine, with poetry, or with virtues, as you will. But be drunk.. ask what hour it is.. 'It is the hour to be drunken! Be drunken, if you would not be martyred slaves of Time; be drunken continually! With wine, with poetry, or with virtue, as you will.' "
-Baudelaire
Henri Defense
Vintage Stetson Club

Favorite Period Film: Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Favorite Classic Film: Casablanca

Postby DanielJones » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:32 pm

And of course Kurt Russell as Wyatt Earp.

And when you mention Tom Selleck you have to mention Matthew Quigley

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby DanielJones » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:21 pm

Neville Chamberlain

Anthony Eden

Mahatma Gandhi

William Faulkner

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby DanielJones » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:25 pm

King George V (a Royal Moustache)

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby Doug Palumbo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:20 am

See the new forum slogan.

Also, facial hair existed before Tom Selleck but he OWNED the 'stache.
Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit

Doug Palumbo
Fedora Chronicles Staff

Favorite Period Film: The Untouchables

Postby DanielJones » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:47 am

Joe Rohde, Disney Imagineer

Kaizer Wilhem II

John Jacob Astor

Keenan Wynn as Hezekiah

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby DanielJones » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:52 am

Professor Fate!!

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby DanielJones » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:56 am

Bowler Hat Guy fro Meet the Robinsons. Epic Villain moustache,

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby DanielJones » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:48 pm

Although know as "The Beard" Monty Wooley had an epicly stunning hirsuit appendage. Great handlebar for sure.

Loved hin in The Man Who Came to Dinner. Wickedly funny.

And in the Pied Piper

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby DanielJones » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:26 pm

Edward Elgar

Another of King George V

Sir Thomas Lipton

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Next

Return to Suits and Formal Wear