The Metaphysical Connection 16: UFO Disclosure 2016 | May 21st 2016

Walt Schnabel and Eric Renderking Fisk welcome our special guest Dennis "Chico" Cremo about UFO sightings in Vermont, why some regions of the country are hotbeds of Extra Terrestrial activity, and ultimately the conversation turns to Disclosure and the effects on society.

Metaphysical Connection products from Zazzle!

Recipe Book

What do you like to eat and drink, where are the best restaurants. Brag about the last great thing you cooked.

Moderator: DanielJones

Super Ordinary Guy
Fedora Chronicles Official Meteorologist
Favorite Period Film: Maltese Falcon

Re: Recipe Book

Postby Super Ordinary Guy » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:13 pm

Major Eaton wrote:
KoryGL wrote:I'm always a fan of Alton Brown. I've made many of his recipes and have never been disappointed...

Speaking of Alton Brown, (and summer BBQ), has anyone here, tried his terra cotta $5.00 smoker?

No I haven't but I must admit I have been wondering about it....
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.

Georgie
Lead Pumper
Favorite Period Film: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Favorite Classic Film: Metropolis

Postby Georgie » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:38 am

We're on a bit of a tight budget right now and I'm struggling trying to come up with menu ideas. I was trying to think of what things if any my parents cooked when I was growing up that I actually enjoyed. I came up with very few....although I did like my Mom's homemade mac and cheese....and my father didn't cook until these past few years, and then only if it can be fried in a pan....but he would occasionally slice potatoes by hand so thin that they became potato chips when he fried them. They were amazing. And he hated if we bought sugared cereal, because plain cereal( his favorite was Puffed Wheat) he would throw in a frying pan with butter and cook when it got stale. Same with Cheerios. It made a surprisingly good snack. He was never willing to throw away stale cereal. Needless to say my friends all thought that was bat-shit crazy. Their parents bought them Fruit Roll-Ups and other packaged snacks.

And it made me wonder what things, if any, that I cook that my kids might look back fondly on. Sigh. Probably none.

So I'm looking for inspiration here and it seemed like a good time to resurrect this board.

Inspire me. What dish did you love when you were growing up? What dish did you hate?
"It may take an ocean of whiskey and time to wash all of the letdown out of your mind." They Might Be Giants

n11pilot
Deadbeat Historian
Favorite Period Film: Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Favorite Classic Film: The Thin Man

Postby n11pilot » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:15 pm

Beer and Cheese Soup

Many years ago I acquired a recipe for beer and cheese soup from a London pub owner who parted with it in exchange for any beef recipe that didn’t involve boiling. Since that time I have slightly altered the recipe to the taste of those who believe that tea is best drunk while extremely ill or dumped into a nearby harbor.

3 Tbsp spring water
3 Tbsp cornstarch (Leveled)
¼ Cup finely chopped onion
1 Tbsp butter (Slightly rounded)
¾ Tsp dried thyme leaves
2 Cloves garlic finely minced
14 Oz of chicken broth (Trader Joe’s is really good)
1 Cup of beer (Dos Equis in the green bottle. I don’t always make beer and cheese soup, but when I do………)
6 Oz American cheese cut into small cubes
6 Oz Extra sharp cheddar cut into small cubes
½ Tsp paprika
1 Cup whole milk

Stir water into cornstarch and set aside. Place onion, butter, thyme, and garlic in a three QT saucepan; cook over a medium to high heat for about 4 minutes or until the onions are tender. Add broth and bring to boil. Stir in beer, cheese, and paprika. Reduce heat to low; whisk in milk and cornstarch mix. Stir without stopping until the cheese melts and the bubbles and thickens. Ladle into bowls and top with pumpernickel croutons. Russian black bread croutons are also very good.

Drink the remaining four Oz of beer then switch to Dos Equis Amber as its stronger flavor compliments the hearty taste of the soup. :D
"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials""
George Mason, 16 June 1788

DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod
Favorite Period Film: Seabiscuit

Postby DanielJones » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:48 pm

Last week I had a craving for red beans & rice. Looked up a couple of recipes and combined the elements that I wanted in them to make it.

I used this one as the recipe to follow.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/patrick-and-gina-neely/red-beans-and-rice-recipe.html
I didn't have their dry rub so I substituted it with the Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning.

Then I pulled elements of this one in that weren't in the other to round things out.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/red-beans-and-rice-recipe2.html

Since I didn't want to go through the process of soaking the red beans, and couldn't find canned red beans I substituted them with red kidney beans, which are a better bean for you. In the process I also used a smoked turkey sausage to make it a tad leaner.
Sometimes I forget that I can actually cook, and end up surprising myself. This came out amazing. an addition of a little cayenne added some authority to it that got better the next day. A real head clearer and comfort food that made me happy & warm.
Next time I may add either bacon or some ham or ham hocks for added flavor. But all in all I can't wait to make this one again. Think that when we go & visit family again and we're all cooking I'm going to make this for everyone.

Cheers!

Dan
"I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it call itself my home, my fatherland, or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use - silence, exile, and cunning." - James Joyce

Super Ordinary Guy

Postby Super Ordinary Guy » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:36 am

If you're looking fir that Neeky's dry rub, here's how to make it:
Neely's Dry Rub

1½ cups of paprika
¾ cup sugar
3¾ tablespoon of onion powder

Pretty simple, I like it cause it's not loaded with salt.

I may give this a try, thanks, been craving some red beans and rice, haven't been to NOLA for awhile now.

n11pilot
Deadbeat Historian

Postby n11pilot » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:10 pm

Super Ordinary Guy wrote:If you're looking fir that Neeky's dry rub, here's how to make it:
Neely's Dry Rub

1½ cups of paprika
¾ cup sugar
3¾ tablespoon of onion powder

Pretty simple, I like it cause it's not loaded with salt.

I may give this a try, thanks, been craving some red beans and rice, haven't been to NOLA for awhile now.

SOG that sounds tasty and simple to make. Is this just for smokers or can you grill with it too.
"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials""

Super Ordinary Guy

Postby Super Ordinary Guy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:10 pm

Basic dry rub and you can grill with it .......

Two things..

You can now buy smoked paprika,,,,,, try a batch adding that

Also try the dry rub for the grill... wanna kick it up a notch ?

dry rub chicken or whatever, grill when you turn it over put you favorite BBQ sauce on top of the cooked side with dry rub... whole new flavor.....

If you want to make a smaller batch I broke it down for you.

3oz Paprika
1/2 oz sugar
3 tsp onion powder

n11pilot
Deadbeat Historian

Re:

Postby n11pilot » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:22 am

Super Ordinary Guy wrote:Basic dry rub and you can grill with it .......

Two things..

You can now buy smoked paprika,,,,,, try a batch adding that

Also try the dry rub for the grill... wanna kick it up a notch ?

dry rub chicken or whatever, grill when you turn it over put you favorite BBQ sauce on top of the cooked side with dry rub... whole new flavor.....

If you want to make a smaller batch I broke it down for you.

3oz Paprika
1/2 oz sugar
3 tsp onion powder

Excellent! Thanks for the information, SOG. I intend to try this at the first opportunity.

Return to “The Connoisseur”