8.9-magnitude quake off northeast coast of Japan

Share where you’ve been...and where you’re going. This is also table dedicated to folks who love the outdoors! Survival tips, hiking, camping, and general nature talk is welcome.

Re: 8.9-magnitude quake off northeast coast of Japan

Postby Blackthorn » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:35 am

Man, that is scary stuff, JCOM. I can't even imagine an earthquake that lasts more than 15 seconds, to say nothing of the ones you all have been getting there. And the radiation...man, where does it end? I'm sure you're all wondering the same thing. :shock:
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus
Blackthorn
Wanderer

Favorite Period Film: Cinderella Man
Favorite Classic Film: Casablanca

Postby DanielJones » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:12 pm

And looking at the quakes locations on a map it appears that the plates are sort of (for the lack of a better word) unzipping down the coast along the subduction zone, and doing it with greater force than in the past. I wonder if one will set of Fuji. Have they been monitoring that volcano and have they released any reports to the public on it?

Cheers!

Dan
"I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it call itself my home, my fatherland, or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use - silence, exile, and cunning." - James Joyce
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Favorite Period Film: Seabiscuit
Favorite Classic Film: The Thin Man

Postby Eric Renderking Fisk » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:42 am

Speaking of pictures, it's really depressing that you don't have a digital camera yourself and have the ability to show us through your own eyes what's really going on.
Eric Renderking Fisk
Fedora Chronicles Staff

Favorite Period Film: Millers Crossing

Postby Blackthorn » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:35 am

JCOM wrote:
blackthorn wrote:Man, that is scary stuff, JCOM. I can't even imagine an earthquake that lasts more than 15 seconds, to say nothing of the ones you all have been getting there. And the radiation...man, where does it end? I'm sure you're all wondering the same thing. :shock:

Blackthorn,

Thanks for your thoughts. Yeah, we really want to see all of this stuff be finished, and get back to normal. We're getting there a step at a time.

By the way, I very much enjoyed your pics from Western China. That is a part of the world that I have always been fascinated by. Very isolated and very mysterious.

Those were some fantastic pictures!!

You are a great photographer!
Thank you, JCOM, but it's really hard to go wrong when the subject matter is so rich.

Your descriptions of the photos made it all the much better. Thoroughly enjoyed them.

Thank you, JCOM, I really appreciate that! I love to tell stories with my pictures. There is a neverending panorama to explore in this world, so many stories to tell. I just love it.
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus
Blackthorn
Wanderer

Postby DanielJones » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:32 pm

Yeah, too bad you didn't have a camera at that moment, even just for your personal collection. I bet that pic of Mt. Fuji would have been a prize winner of a shot.

Good to hear that things are starting to get some degree of normalcy to it, even if it is in small degrees. I really feel bad for those folks that are up near that nuclear plant. Their lives are disrupted forever. I'm willing to bet that most will never return to that area ever again. Even if they get the leaks contained and get the plant repaired it'll be decades before humans will ever be allowed in that area when the work is done. The contamination goes too far. Take care and keep us updated.

Cheers.

Dan
"I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it call itself my home, my fatherland, or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use - silence, exile, and cunning." - James Joyce
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby Eric Renderking Fisk » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:53 pm

The question I still have is: what part of this news item are you seeing first hand that's not being reported by the mainstream media isn't telling us?
Eric Renderking Fisk
Fedora Chronicles Staff

Postby Blackthorn » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:50 pm

Thanks for the update, JCOM. Just curious, are you Japanese yourself? If not, how long have you lived there and what kind of work do you do, JCOM?

― Heraclitus
Blackthorn
Wanderer

Postby Blackthorn » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:34 pm

JCOM wrote:I am an American.

I work for the US Navy here as a technician. I fix equipment on ships.

All together I've lived in Japan for a little over seven years.

Interesting, thanks JCOM.

― Heraclitus
Blackthorn
Wanderer

Postby Eric Renderking Fisk » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:27 pm

I thinnk you might have a story to tell about how you got there.
Eric Renderking Fisk
Fedora Chronicles Staff

Postby Blackthorn » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:19 am

Man, when will it ever end!??

― Heraclitus
Blackthorn
Wanderer

Postby DanielJones » Sun May 15, 2011 2:41 pm

Odd that this has almost dropped off the media radar lately. Has anyone come across any new updates to the clean up efforts and the nuclear power plant?

Cheers.

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby Major Eaton » Mon May 16, 2011 1:15 pm

Had to. Rad levels are so high there they don't have Geiger counters to register it. And with the plume still flowing on the west coast...you don't want riots over something that almost can't be controlled.

So, under the rug it goes.
We have top men working on it...right now.
Major Eaton
FC Rapture Czar

Favorite Period Film: King Kong (2005)
Favorite Classic Film: King Kong (1933)

Postby Eric Renderking Fisk » Mon May 16, 2011 3:44 pm

At what point can we sue the media for malpractice? The BP Oil Spill is a non-issue, and now this nuclear accident? Compare this to the endless Bill Clinton/Monica Lewinsky scandal that was on the news 24 Hours a day for how many months or years?
Eric Renderking Fisk
Fedora Chronicles Staff

Postby Eric Renderking Fisk » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:28 pm

CNN wrote:"3 nuclear reactors melted down after quake, Japan confirms," By the CNN Wire Staff June 6, 2011

Tokyo (CNN) -- Japan's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant experienced full meltdowns at three reactors in the wake of an earthquake and tsunami in March, the country's Nuclear Emergency Response Headquarters said Monday.
The nuclear group's new evaluation, released Monday, goes further than previous statements in describing the extent of the damage caused by an earthquake and tsunami on March 11.

The announcement will not change plans for how to stabilize the Fukushima Daiichi plant, the agency said.
Reactors 1, 2 and 3 experienced a full meltdown, it said.

The plant's owner, Tokyo Electric Power Co., admitted last month that nuclear fuel rods in reactors 2 and 3 probably melted during the first week of the nuclear crisis.

It had already said fuel rods at the heart of reactor No. 1 melted almost completely in the first 16 hours after the disaster struck. The remnants of that core are now sitting in the bottom of the reactor pressure vessel at the heart of the unit and that vessel is now believed to be leaking.

Allegedly we were "this close" to a catastrophe that could have made northern Japan uninhabitable... forever?
Eric Renderking Fisk
Fedora Chronicles Staff

Postby GoldenLuck » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:13 pm

I'm just skimming through looking at the pics and thinking
"Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh! OH MY GOSH!!!!"
Thank goodness my family over there is okay, but unfortunately, others can't say that...
Oh, it's hard to be humble when you are perfect in every way!!
Life is good...then you die. Not so good.
God Bless America, and everyone in her. :)
How many times a year?
GoldenLuck
Jump Jiver

Favorite Period Film: Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Favorite Classic Film: I'm just a spammer

PreviousNext

Return to Members Travel Journal