Recipe Book

What do you like to eat and drink, where are the best restaurants. Brag about the last great thing you cooked.

Moderator: DanielJones

Recipe Book

Postby DanielJones » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:16 pm

Ok folks, time to share recipes that have either been passed down through the family, from friends, or found here & there. Some of my favorites have come from The Food Channel, a lot are ones from Jamie Oliver & some of the best are from the old Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook with the red & white checked cover. Lets see what foods & drinks that you like. The drinks are not necessarily coctails, but could be smoothies, punches and such. Non-alcoholic an alcoholic alike. Foods can be just one sandwich or item to a full blown meal. We can share breakfast recipes to dessert recipes. What are the ones you either enjoy making or just eating & drinking?

With Thanksgiving around the corner I do enjoy the staples of that meal (it's just not Thanksgiving without them) but we also like to mix it up & try new things. So lets see what you folks enjoy for Thanksgiving. From the bird to the desserts and everything in between.

With other holidays out there globally there should be some really good meals to prepare from a variety of countries. With the internet, The Food Channel & the Cooking Channel we should be able to put together a really extensive codex of foods & drinks. If it isn't a link to a recipe, just type it down or scan the page or card & post it as a picture. If there are video links, post those too. Any way you slice it, it is sharing something of us and what we enjoy.

Here is my first entry. This is a Mexican Pork Chili that we got off the Food Channel about a year ago, It was part of a Super Bowl food show. All the stuff from the different cooks that they would serve at a Super Bowl bash. It is fantastic if you love a good chili verde. It is one of my new favorites and it is serious comfort food.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/mexican-pork-chili-recipe/index.html

So let's see what you folks enjoy to eat & drink. I've never been afraid to try new foods. Please don't be shy & post away. :D

Cheers!

Dan
"I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it call itself my home, my fatherland, or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use - silence, exile, and cunning." - James Joyce
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Favorite Period Film: Seabiscuit
Favorite Classic Film: The Thin Man

Re: Recipe Book

Postby Doug Palumbo » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:34 pm

Jamie Oliver, Alton Brown, Tyler Florence and Lydia Bastianich are some of my favorite chefs on TV. And yes, the BH&G cookbook is a staple in the kitchen for sure. As for recipes, most of the ones used in my family are passed down by teaching, not by writing. I'll have to mull it over and try to get some down to share with y'all.
Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit

Doug Palumbo
Fedora Chronicles Staff

Favorite Period Film: The Untouchables

Postby DanielJones » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:02 pm

You know, those home recipes from memory or scratch are always the best. especially the ones that have been handed down. We thought we had Mom's recipe for her turkey stuffing memorized, because we know she did. When I went looking through the recipe box where I though it would be, all I found were two scraps of paper with a partial list of ingredients. She just winged it ad alway made the best stuffing. Now it is lost.
So, please, if you have ones from memory, write them down share them here and don't lose them to time.

Cheers!

Dan
"I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it call itself my home, my fatherland, or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use - silence, exile, and cunning." - James Joyce
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby Dixie_Amazon » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:15 am

I recently discovered this blog that may be of interest.
http://timetravelkitchen.blogspot.com/
Dennise

If you always do what interests you, at least one person is pleased. ~~ Katherine Hepburn
Dixie_Amazon
Trigger man

Favorite Period Film: "I love them all!"

Postby DanielJones » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:30 pm

Looks rather interesting. Thanks for sharing Dixie.

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby DanielJones » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:34 pm

This dressing recipe has officially replaced Mom's dressing for Thanksgiving. Sorry Mom, but I think you would agree this one is fantastic.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/savory-spinach-and-artichoke-stuffing-recipe/index.html

We tried this one I think back in 2004 and were hooked ever since. It may look complicated on paper, but trust me this one is as simple as any dressing recipe out there. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby KoryGL » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:38 pm

I'm always a fan of Alton Brown. I've made many of his recipes and have never been disappointed. For Christmas my wife and I hosted and the only issue I had is one of the guests brought a bottle of wine and we opened a bottle that I had purchased prior to his arrival to allow it to "open up". Then the only people that partook were the guest who also brought, my wife and myself. The guest upon leaving took the other bottle back with him. I thought that was rather rude. I would have opened his, but there was no demand for more.
KoryGL
Chopper Squad

Favorite Classic Film: Casablanca

Postby Super Ordinary Guy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:25 pm

KoryGL wrote:I'm always a fan of Alton Brown. I've made many of his recipes and have never been disappointed. For Christmas my wife and I hosted and the only issue I had is one of the guests brought a bottle of wine and we opened a bottle that I had purchased prior to his arrival to allow it to "open up". Then the only people that partook were the guest who also brought, my wife and myself. The guest upon leaving took the other bottle back with him. I thought that was rather rude. I would have opened his, but there was no demand for more.

Dang dude, taking his bottle back is worse than re-gifting..

They wouldn't be invited back to Casa SOG for sure..
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.
Super Ordinary Guy
Fedora Chronicles Official Meteorologist

Favorite Period Film: Maltese Falcon

Postby KoryGL » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:57 pm

Super Ordinary Guy wrote:
KoryGL wrote:I'm always a fan of Alton Brown. I've made many of his recipes and have never been disappointed. For Christmas my wife and I hosted and the only issue I had is one of the guests brought a bottle of wine and we opened a bottle that I had purchased prior to his arrival to allow it to "open up". Then the only people that partook were the guest who also brought, my wife and myself. The guest upon leaving took the other bottle back with him. I thought that was rather rude. I would have opened his, but there was no demand for more.

Dang dude, taking his bottle back is worse than re-gifting..

They wouldn't be invited back to Casa SOG for sure..

I just wish more "young" people would look at sites such as Art of Manliness to learn etiquette if they failed to learn it at home. My rant is done, and I'll be using some of the advice from the afore mentioned site to behave better in person and online:)
KoryGL
Chopper Squad

Favorite Classic Film: Casablanca

Postby Robert » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:13 am

The things I saw my mom make that I still make are all really simple.

Quick chip dip = one Philly cream cheese, a 1/8 cup of milk or so, and garlic salt to taste. I still use a fork and the corning ware "thing" that she used to mix it in.

Quick Pizza Bread= a slice of bread, tomato paste, oregeno, hard salami, mozzerella cheese and broil to your cheesy likes.

Egg Salad, Deviled Eggs, Ham Salad, Chicken Salad, Johnny Marzetti, Tuna Noodle Casserole. You can tell my mom was a single parent, working woman. :)
Robert
Hatchetman

Postby DanielJones » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:02 pm

Nice. Quick and simple foods.

Are there any favorite family recipes that you folks what to share or at least don't want to lose to time? Be they for holidays like Christmas or New Years or just general everyday meals, please jot them down and share them here. A friend of mine years back had a recipe for fried chicken that was handed down to her by her grandmother. One of those done by memory things, nothing written down to share. Alas, I lost contact with here before I could get the recipe written down. It was some of the best Tennessee fried chicken I have ever had. It was the kind of food you would sell a sibling into slavery for.

So, this upcoming year of 2011, lets see what kind of culinary delights you enjoy the most. Anything from breakfast treats all the way through supper and desserts. If you just want to scan a page & upload it that'll work as well. Let's make this thread our shared retrocentric recipe book for the Speakeasy family this year.

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby DanielJones » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:03 pm

Here is one that I couldn't pass up, it just looked too fantastic & I can't wait to try it.

Turkey and Sweet Leek Pie. Dead simple to make too. I caught this one on "Jamie Oliver Cooks Christmas". It is a good use for left over turkey from either Christmas or Thanksgiving. comfort food on cold evenings at it's best. There is even a conversion calculator on the site for the metric to imperial measurements.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/turkey-recipes/turkey-and-sweet-leek-pie

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby DanielJones » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:06 pm

This is one cook book I can't wait to get my paws on. I believe it is recipes from his Christmas show and the stuff from that show was fantastic looking. Can't wait to try all of it.
http://www.channel4.com/4food/on-tv/christmas-with-gordon-extras/get-the-christmas-with-gordon-book

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby DanielJones » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:14 pm

Ok, we prepared this turkey recipe for supper last night. Oh man! That was one good bird. It was super moist, full of flavor and produced the best gravy I've had to date. We did it on a smaller bird for the three of us so some of the ingredients were scaled down accordingly. I cannot wait to try this one either at Thanksgiving or Christmas. Between what I watched and learned with Gordon Ramsay and Jamie Oliver I think that we will be able to blow the doors off of what my sister prepared this last Thanksgiving. Be sure to try this one out, you won't be sorry.

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/tv-show-recipes/christmas-with-gordon-recipes/roast-turkey-with-lemon-parsley-and-garlic-recipe

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby DanielJones » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:34 pm

Here are some recipes to try out. Looks like a dinner meal for each day of the week.
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/food/whatsfordinner

The buffalo wings, pork chops and their mac and cheese sound great!

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Next

Return to The Connoisseur