BevX.com

What do you like to eat and drink, where are the best restaurants. Brag about the last great thing you cooked.

Moderator: DanielJones

BevX.com

Postby DanielJones » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:01 pm

About BevX.com
BevX is a lifestyle magazine with a beverage (wine, beer, and spirits) focus. BevX is published exclusively online - no trees are harmed in the making of BevX; only a few brain cells… We strive to be the best and most captivating publication in the world of wine, beer, spirits, travel, dining, and good times period.

We update our content each week and alert our subscribers via a brief email newsletter that is sent each Wednesday. Each week we offer new wine, beer, and spirits reviews, a featured Beverage of the Week, a Cocktail of the Week, and other fresh features including a look at our Fave Spots (retailers, restaurants, & bars) as well as travel and cooking. Subscriptions to BevX are FREE!

BevX encourages our subscribers to participate by adding your reviews to the beverages we examine as well as commenting on features and participating in our open forums. As you see, we mostly have fun doing what we love to do and sharing our passion with you.

http://www.bevx.com/

My wife usually sends me a cocktail of the week that catches her interest. So, I figure that I'll pass this tradition on to you folks and to start things off right with the Casablanca Coctail.
http://www.bevx.com/cocktail/casablanca

So as I peruse the listings I will post the ones that I think sound great & the ones that have that Golden Era flair. And not the mainstream like a Manhattan (unless it is made in a different way with another spirit), but the ones that are more unheard of.

I encourage you folks here to to the same thing in case I might have overlooked something that would be new & exciting to some.

Cheers! Image

Dan
"I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it call itself my home, my fatherland, or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use - silence, exile, and cunning." - James Joyce
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Favorite Period Film: Seabiscuit
Favorite Classic Film: The Thin Man

Re: BevX.com

Postby DanielJones » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:08 pm

Here's one for you bourbon loves. :D
http://www.bevx.com/node/1400

Louisville Cooler
Bourbon is a great and versatile spirit ready to sip straight form the bottle or as the base of a great cocktail. The Louisville Cooler is an often-overlooked drink in Bourbon's bag of tricks and that's a shame. This tasty cocktail is both refreshing and satisfying to a serious Whiskey craving.

Don't be disarmed by the addition of orange juice. Think of it as an Old Fashioned gone overboard muddling an entire orange as opposed to just one slice.

Cheers!Image

Dan
"I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it call itself my home, my fatherland, or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use - silence, exile, and cunning." - James Joyce
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby Henri Defense » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:46 pm

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!!

Henri
"Be always drunken. Nothing else matters: that is the only question. If you would not feel the horrible burden of Time weighing on your shoulders and crushing you to the earth, be drunken continually. Drunken with what? With wine, with poetry, or with virtues, as you will. But be drunk.. ask what hour it is.. 'It is the hour to be drunken! Be drunken, if you would not be martyred slaves of Time; be drunken continually! With wine, with poetry, or with virtue, as you will.' "
-Baudelaire
Henri Defense
Vintage Stetson Club

Favorite Period Film: Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Favorite Classic Film: Casablanca

Postby Eric Renderking Fisk » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:14 pm

Moments like these I wish I never gave up the scotch.
Eric Renderking Fisk
Fedora Chronicles Staff

Favorite Period Film: Millers Crossing

Postby DanielJones » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:36 am

Eric Renderking Fisk wrote:Moments like these I wish I never gave up the scotch.

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue." :wink:

Here is one for example. Your Old Fashion is a classic cocktail usually made with whiskey, or variants thereof. Here they turn it on its ear. Try this one on for size.

An aged rum Old Fashioned.
http://www.bevx.com/cow/rum_oldfashioned

That'll hold ya'

Cheers!Image

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby DanielJones » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:02 pm

Here's one for the east coast. The Dark & Stormy.
Dark & Stormy
The drink that made Bermuda famous (Or was that all of those missing ships and planes?) is the Dark & Stormy – our Cocktail of the Week.

Now don't skimp!
http://www.bevx.com/cow/dark_stormy

Cheers!Image

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby DanielJones » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:20 pm

Here's a twist on an old classic. Tequila Sunrise - BevX Style
http://bevx.com/node/1404

Ingredients
1 1/2 oz. Blanco Tequila - 100% Agave

3 oz. Orange Juice (freshly squeezed)

1 teaspoon of Tamarind concentrate

Method
Add the Tequila and OJ to a cocktail shaker with a handful of cracked ice. Shake well and then pour into a tall glass half filled with ice. Top with the tamarind concentrate allowing it to cascade down. Garnish with an orange slice if you must.

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby DanielJones » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:28 pm

Ok, this is an unusual one, but I'll try anything once, twice if I like it. It struck my interest because the cooler weather is just around the corner & I wanted something of this nature.
It's called a Dogs Nose Cocktail.

http://bevx.com/cow/dogsnose

Ingredients
1 oz. Dry Gin (the heavier the juniper, the better)

Splash of Cointreau

Dry Stout

Orange twist

Method
In a pint glass add the Gin and Cointreau with the orange twist. Top with the Dry Stout and enjoy.

This is one of those strange old cocktails that most have never heard of, and once you have the recipe in sight you may wonder why anyone would drink it! Admittedly, it is a strange sounding concoction but it does take away the chill on a cold and snowy February day.

We have made a few modifications from the original, which is said to have been a favorite of Charles Dickens. The original, Dickens version if you will, called for Porter, brown sugar, and Gin with a fresh grating of nutmeg to adorn the foam.

We like to use a boldly flavored Gin with a strong juniper impression. We were looking to further accentuate the citrus notes of the Gin and provide a bit of sweetness with the splash of Cointreau. In our view, the brown sugar made it a bit too sweet.

The name? Well…have you ever touched a dog’s nose? Wet and black isn’t it.

Looks fairly straight forward & simple. If Dickens liked it...

Cheers!Image

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby DanielJones » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:18 pm

Here is an old forgotten on with an international flavor. The Parisian.
http://www.bevx.com/cow/parisian

Ingredients
1 1/2 oz. London Dry Gin

1 1/2 oz. Dry Vermouth

1/2 oz. Creme de Cassis

Method
Pour the three ingredients along with a handful of cracked ice into a cocktail shaker. Shake with vigor and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

Happy drinking!

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby DanielJones » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:46 pm

The Aspen Ice Melter
This one sounds perfect for a rainy or snowy day. Can't wait to try this one. 8)
http://www.bevx.com/cow/aspen_melter

Ingredients
1 1/2 oz Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey
1 wedge fresh lemon
2 Cloves
1/2 cinnamon stick
1 tbls Honey
Hot water
Source
Jake Norris, Head Distiller at Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey

Method
In a coffee mug or appropriate glass, muddle or bruise a wedge of fresh lemon. Add the spices, honey, and Whiskey. Top with hot water and allow the drink to steep for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir and enjoy!

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby DanielJones » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:27 am

Alright, had a go at the Aspen Ice Melter. Perfect for a cold rainy afternoon, so I think as an after on a snowy day on the slopes or cross country skiing will do the trick. I made it with Gentleman Jack Whiskey instead as I didn't have any of the Colorado whiskey. Gets you all warm and toasty inside.

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby DanielJones » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:05 pm

London Cocktail
Here is another brilliant three-ingredient cocktail. Three ingredients that offer complex flavors and when mixed together in the proper proportions the sum is greater than its parts. So the next time you are sitting at the bar nodding off while the bartender is using an eyedropper to insert the 14th ingredient into his signature cocktail, change your order to a London Cocktail.

http://www.bevx.com/cow/london_cocktail

This one sounds refreshing.

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby DanielJones » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:39 pm

For those rye whiskey lovers, here is an interesting cocktail for you. Simple, three ingredients. Like food, anymore gets to heavy and complicated, too many flavors fighting for attention.

Algonquin Cocktail
This great drink shows the versatility of Whiskey in cocktails and the spicy appeal of Rye. The Algonquin is proof positive that you don't have to have a dozen ingredients to have a dozen flavors in a cocktail. It makes a great aperitif.

The Algonquin was named for the New York Hotel of the same name. The Algonquin Hotel is best known as the host establishment for the Algonquin Round Table, a group of prominent writers, actors, and playwrights who met daily for lunch in the 1920s. The core group included Robert Benchley, Heywood Broun, Marc Connelly, Jane Grant, Ruth Hale, George S. Kaufman, Neysa McMein, Dorothy Parker, Harold Ross, Robert E. Sherwood and Alexander Woollcott among others. It is not speculated that this group sipped this concoction of Rye, Vermouth, and pineapple juice but it's hard to imagine them turning it down.

http://www.bevx.com/cow/algonquin

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby DanielJones » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:26 pm

As much as I enjoy the Aspen Ice Melter, this one I think will break up the monotony.

Hot Toddy - BevX Style
This classic winter cocktail can soothe us and at times heal us with its warmth and clever dose of Whiskey. It can be made with great ease and requires no special skills or ingredients. Be sure to brew your tea and use a quality honey.

Method
Brew the Earl Grey tea in the standard way. Pour the tea into your favorite mug or cup. Add the other three ingedients and give it a stir until the honey is fully combined. Enjoy with a wedge of citrus fruit.

http://www.bevx.com/cow/hot_toddy

This will be a nice one to add to the little thermos or riding flask on one of those Christmas light walks on a particular street in your home town or for a sleigh ride. In any case this should warm the bones & spirit on a nippy evening.

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby DanielJones » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:23 pm

Not from BevX but here is a good list of holiday cocktail recipes for all tastes.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/12/01/dining/20101201-parties.html?ref=dining

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Next

Return to The Connoisseur