DCU Reboot

Books, authors, and playwrights; all literary work can be discussed here.

... And comic books, graphic novels, and even the Sunday funnies...this is the place to discuss your favorite characters, creators, and story lines.

DCU Reboot

Postby Cousi » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:29 am

Okay - the comics news is that DC is rebooting their entire universe. Starting in September, they will only release 52 titles over the course of the next 52 weeks. This will restart all titles - even perennials Action Comics and Detective Comics - at #1 and reboot the characters. Arsenal (Green Arrow's original sidekick Speedy) will get his arm back. Batgirl (Barbara Gordon) will be able to walk again. They're redoing the costumes as well. This is supposed to make them more appealing to modern audiences, which I think they need to do. They've been loosing market share while Marvel's been gaining since 2002.

I think they needed to do this also because they've made a mess of the DCU over the past few years and their continuity is all over the place. Some titles I'm looking forward to:

Nightwing - Dick Grayson (the original Robin) is my hands-down favorite character in the DCU. They made him Batman when Bruce Wayne was thought dead (instead he had been sent throughout time). Then when Bruce came back, they had two Batmans. They did it to move Dick away from the Nightwing identity so they could use it on new Krypton along with Flamebird. Granted, both identities were originally Kryptonian legends but Dick owned the Nightwing ID. Bette Kane (the original Bat-Girl) became Flamebird and I think they never really took good advantage of that. Now Dick's apparently becoming Nightwing again, and I'm happy about that.

Babs is BACK baby! Yes, the second (often thought as the original) Batgirl is out of the wheelchair and back in the cowl. Babs was really the favorite Batgirl and I for one am glad to see her back in action, although I am kinda sad to see the DCU loose Oracle.

Kathy Kane is back as the lipstick lesbian Batwoman. I have to admit I didn't like the idea of a lesbian Batwoman but the focus of the stories was on Batwoman and the fact that she's a lesbian was not the focus of the comic. Not a big fan, but its acceptable. Kathy's last name is an homage to the creator of Batman, Bob Kane. She has a niece named Bette that may become her sidekick, which would recreate Flamebird.

My favorite team in the DCU is the Teen Titans, with the JSA a close second. I grew up with them in the 1980s series. This is a reboot of a reinvention of the re-imagining of the recreation, but I like the team they've assembled. They were always a Jr Justice League, so its nice to see Red Robin (Tim Drake, the third Robin), Superboy (Connor Kent, a clone of Superman and Lex Luthor), Wonder Girl (the second one, Cassie Sandsmark) in the roles filled in the Justice League by Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. I don't know which version of Kid Flash this is, but its nice to see a Kid Flash in the Titans. I have no idea who the other two are, one is possibly a reboot of Raven but I haven't a clue about the other one.

And my favorite villain and mercenary, Deathstroke. The honor-bound often villain, sometimes ally is getting his own title and an upgraded look. I'll keep an eye on this one. I hope to see Ravager appear, too. Deathstroke came into prominence during the famed Judas Contract storyline and his origins were told alongside Dick's morphing into Nightwing and if he's anyone's arch-nemesis, he'd be Dick's if they didn't often team up and if Slade didn't respect him so much.

Of all these, the only one I'm really interested in collecting (finances willing) is Nightwing. DC hasn't revealed the entire list of 52 titles yet. I'd be interested in seeing if they reboot my second favorite team, the Justice Society of America. If they do and my finances agree, I'd like to collect the Titans and JSA.

Interestingly, they are also moving to a new publishing model: simultaneous electronic and traditional publishing. In the past, and I believe Marvel still does, they would do an electronic publishing two weeks or so after the traditional prints went out. This is a potential game-changer in the comics world. Warner is taking a risk doing this, and we'll have to see how it plays out for them.

The fanboys are in a tizzy over this: most hate it but some love it. I'm on the fence, personally. I'd like to see what they do with it before passing judgement. If it brings some sanity back into the DCU, then I'm all for it. If they use this as an excuse to dump Superman's patriotic background or fundamentally change the characters to fit in with some politically-correct image of propriety, then I'm going to hate it.

It may just be time to start making my own comics in that case.
"When the mob and the press and the whole WORLD tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the River of Truth and tell the whole WORLD:

'No, YOU move.'" - Captain America

"There is nothing more powerful than an idea whose time has come."
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
- Victor Hugo

Veritas et Lux et Vitae
Cousi
Fed Chron Mod

Favorite Period Film: "Mine Isn't In This List!"
Favorite Classic Film: Maltese Falcon

Re: DCU Reboot

Postby Irish Fist » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:04 am

Batwoman is a lesbian! How much do we get to see?
"Once a woman is introduced to Colonel Angus, she'll settle for nothing less."
Irish Fist
Martyr of Traditional Anarchism

Postby Doug Palumbo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:37 am

Reboots are a constant in the comic world. In their attempt to freshen things up for a modern audience, I hope they don't go "Superman Returns" and just screw it up.
Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit

Doug Palumbo
Fedora Chronicles Staff

Favorite Period Film: The Untouchables
Favorite Classic Film: The Thin Man

Postby Eric Renderking Fisk » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:55 am

I'm not sure how I really feel about all of these reboots or the concept of reboots in general. What about all the work people did in the past in contributing to the stories? Don't they count any more? You're invested in these characters because of what they've been through, not just because of their costumes and back stories.
Eric Renderking Fisk
Fedora Chronicles Staff

Favorite Period Film: Millers Crossing
Favorite Classic Film: The Thin Man

Return to Literature (And Comics!)