The Raymond Chandler thread

Books, authors, and playwrights; all literary work can be discussed here.

... And comic books, graphic novels, and even the Sunday funnies...this is the place to discuss your favorite characters, creators, and story lines.

The Raymond Chandler thread

Postby Edward R Murrow » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:54 pm

Independent: "Chandler and wife finally reunited,"

Author Raymond Chandler's wish to spend eternity alongside his wife was fulfilled after her remains were buried with his in a Valentine's Day ceremony.

Cissy Chandler died in 1954, followed by Raymond in 1959. But because he left no instructions for what to do with her ashes, it has taken more than 50 years to bring them together.

This week her ashes were taken to Mount Hope Cemetery in San Diego in a convoy of 1920s-era cars. The minister who conducted the author's funeral presided over the ceremony.

This would be a great time to discuss this author and his life. What's his best work?

"Keep Calm And Your Fedora On" products now available via Cafe Press.
Edward R Murrow
Martyr of Traditional Anarchism

Re: The Raymond Chandler thread

Postby RetroRebel » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:59 pm

I just finished reading "The Big Sleep". Awesome book but I warn you, it's a bit confusing!
RetroRebel
Retro Revolution Veteran

Favorite Period Film: Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Favorite Classic Film: Maltese Falcon

Re: The Raymond Chandler thread

Postby Zoo Station » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:16 am

Chandler is one of my favorite authors. Every novel of his kept me hooked and I treasure them in my collection. Novels like The Big Sleep, The Long Goodbye, and The Lady in the Lake are true classics and well worth your time.
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible. This I did."--T.E. Lawrence
Zoo Station
Martyr of Traditional Anarchism

Favorite Period Film: Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Favorite Classic Film: Maltese Falcon

Return to Literature (And Comics!)