The Venerable Trench Coat...

Everything to go with the lid when going to the office, a night on the town and special occasions. Looking sharp in your vintage/retro clothing has never been so easy... This is also your table to discuss and contribute to the conversations about reproducing the "Great Detective" look. Humphrey Bogart in "Casablanca" and "The Maltese Falcon" and William Powell in "The Thin Man" are just two great examples!

Also known as "Detective Gear"

The Venerable Trench Coat...

Postby DanielJones » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:05 pm

Ok, most of us here know what the trench coat is and it's origins. Now, I've been wanting one for some time, but could never justify getting one since we live in such an arid area, it just didn't make sense. Well, with things changing for us a move to the Pacific Northwest is going to happen sooner than later. So, it looks like I may need to get one of these coveted coats after all. I have seen many varieties, from Bogarts in Casablanca, which is rather unique in and of itself, to the classic English Style.
I would love to see what you folks here have and hear why you love it so much. Lets see them in action. What labels would you recommend and why? Which ones are the best bang for the buck?

Now I'm not talking the abbreviated modern version that barley covers your tuchas, I'm after the knee length or lower variety. Show us what you have folks and tell us about it.

Cheers!

Dan
"I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it call itself my home, my fatherland, or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use - silence, exile, and cunning." - James Joyce
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Favorite Period Film: Seabiscuit
Favorite Classic Film: The Thin Man

Re: The Venerable Trench Coat...

Postby Torpedo » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:21 am

I have this one, US Army issue (Coat, Man's, All-weather :roll: ):

(It is not stained - it was raining!)

Note that unlike the Raglan style shoulders most often seen in civilian trench coats, this one has regular shoulder pattern.
Torpedo
Zoot Suiter

Postby Super Ordinary Guy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:11 pm

I used to have a trench coat but never really wore it much...so I no longer have one.\

I always liked one though.....

This one has my eye but it obscenely expensive....

http://www.abbyshot.com/products/pg-deckard-trench.php
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.
Super Ordinary Guy
Fedora Chronicles Official Meteorologist

Favorite Period Film: Maltese Falcon

Postby DanielJones » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:23 pm

I know J. Peterman had carried one for a while, but it is seasonal of course. They may offer that up again.
Army issue. I may have to take a peek into our local surplus store and see what they may have. Worth a try anyway.

Cheers!

Dan
"I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it call itself my home, my fatherland, or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use - silence, exile, and cunning." - James Joyce
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby Eric Renderking Fisk » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:09 pm

I keep looking for one that's just right. I got one from Jos. A Bank and had to exchange it three times and it still wasn't the right size. I still haven't found the right one but I haven't given up.
Eric Renderking Fisk
Fedora Chronicles Staff

Favorite Period Film: Millers Crossing

Postby Edw8ri » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:40 pm

I like the idea of a trenchcoat, but not the reality. Once you have to start dealing with all the buttons, flaps, etc, it becomes a pain. Then we must confront the inevitable question of what the heck to do with the belt. Do you tie it - for the Hugh Heffner bathrobe look? Do you buckle it, for the "Ike" look. I have seen some people tie it in the back, so that you can't see it from the front.

After going through this with one trench coat, when it was time to replace it, I went with a very simple tan rain coat of the same length. Mine is single breasted and has covered buttons. It is simple, clean, and timeless.
Dieu et les Dames!
Edw8ri
Vintage Viking

Favorite Period Film: Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Favorite Classic Film: Casablanca

Postby AeroDillo » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:50 pm

I like long coats. Unfortunately, living in Texas, it's a rare occasion that allows for the wearing of one. Usually the weather's lousy (and by lousy I mean a hundred degrees with at least seventy percent humidity) and on the occasion that we get cold we usually don't get it bad enough for anything more than a heavy jacket.

Also, it's a terrific pain in the ass to wear one if you'll be in and out of a vehicle with any frequency.

As for the belt, unless I'm keeping buttoned up for the duration I'll usually just leave that at home.
Get it together? Lady, last time my people got it together it took most of Robert E. Lee's backyard to bury the evidence.
AeroDillo
Usual Suspect

Favorite Period Film: Once Upon A Time in America.
Favorite Classic Film: Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Postby segarfan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:38 pm

i got a nice trenchcoat years ago, an english brand. i must say i love it; and i must say i don't wear it much. for one thing Edw8ri is exactly right, there are an astonishing number of buttons that you have to fool around with. it's a nice vintage touch, but for a guy raised on zippers it's pretty inconvenient. just putting in or taking out the liner (which has about a thousand buttons) takes me more time than i'm willing to invest. i admit it does look fantastic, but i find i only pull it out on special occasions. if i'm wearing a suit or sportcoat, for example, and it's raining (and not too hot, or too cold), then my trenchcoat is perfect. but honestly that's only once in a blue moon.
i'm actually from the pacific nw, but now live in jersey. maybe if i moved back there (which i would love to do some day) then i'd use it more often, but i doubt it. i was lucky enough to get one of tony nowak's leather jackets, and frankly that's my go-to outer wear for all but the hottest or coldest days.
segarfan
Chopper Squad

Favorite Period Film: Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Favorite Classic Film: Maltese Falcon

Postby Eric Renderking Fisk » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:14 pm

Segarfan - I would love for you to start a thread about your Nowak jacket.

There are times when I would like to set aside website building and get to work designing clothes, starting with a better trench coat. But that's a bit presumptuous of me. Maybe what people really want is exactly what people wore when they were first introduced. Is there such a thing we can buy today?
Eric Renderking Fisk
Fedora Chronicles Staff

Postby DanielJones » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:26 pm

The one J. Peterman has is on fall clearance right now at an outstanding price. Unfortunately is is in black, the tan was all sold out in my size.

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby DanielJones » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:32 pm

There was one at Banana Republic this last weekend on the clearance rack for $70, it was the 3/4 length. Unfortunately it was a Large that didn't fit (usually the way it is with their jackets with me) and if it did, I just didn't have the money to get it. Oh well, maybe something else will come up.

I've been contemplating the Army Officers Trenchcoat from At The Front. Could be a good option. The only drawback is that they don't have a liner for those cooler days. But I suppose I can just wear something warmer underneath to counter that.

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby Fedoraphile » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:02 pm

If money wasn't an issue (Sadly, it always is) I bet that Indy Magnoli could deliver exactly what we're looking for.

I have a fairly recent vintage military double breasted raincoat. It's nice and lightweight, is cut almost exactly like Bogie's, but has a greenish hue to it. I recall a few episodes of "Hogan's Heroes" where some U.S. officers wore trenchcoats like what you posted, Daniel, but in a khaki color. I've looked at several repro sites for them, and have yet to score. I wonder if they're Korean vintage?
If emulation of the best of our past with an eye toward improving the future was a constant practice, this would be a very different world.

I consider this my way of lighting a candle instead of cursing the darkness.

-Jersey Jones
Fedoraphile
Retro Revolution Veteran

Favorite Period Film: "I love them all!"
Favorite Classic Film: MR Smith Goes to Washington

Postby WineGuy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:58 pm

I've searched for years for an exact copy of Bogart's Casablanca trench coat and I'm surprised no one has produced one. I eventually got off ebay a Christian Dior that is close, but not identical. Does anyone know where an exact copy can be purchased without going bespoke?
"Luxury once experienced becomes necessity"
WineGuy
Hooch Hustler

Favorite Period Film: The Untouchables

Postby Blackthorn » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:47 pm

This isn't the identical one we all search for, but for a workable, affordable trench coat, this looks like a good deal:

http://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp?ite ... esultId=11
Silence in the face of evil is itself evil. God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.....Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Blackthorn
Wanderer

Favorite Period Film: Cinderella Man

Postby Eric Renderking Fisk » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:59 pm

It think that's something I'm going to put on my wishlist.
Eric Renderking Fisk
Fedora Chronicles Staff

Next

Return to Suits and Formal Wear