8.9-magnitude quake off northeast coast of Japan

Share where you’ve been...and where you’re going. This is also table dedicated to folks who love the outdoors! Survival tips, hiking, camping, and general nature talk is welcome.

Re: 8.9-magnitude quake off northeast coast of Japan

Postby davidg » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:26 pm

Major Eaton wrote:Paranoid? Not at all. Prepared...most definitely. And right now, it is the good Major's position that we as a nation are not at all prepared.

I would agree with that! To be honest, I don't know how you COULD be prepared for that.
davidg
Knight Templar

Favorite Period Film: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Favorite Classic Film: The Thin Man

Postby Major Eaton » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:45 pm

Prepared for the flu, or the fact that TPTB price the middle class out of health care and then unleash a yet to be known viral infection that taxes us to the point of death?

See, in Japan, they are 20 years plus ahead of us when it comes to boomers. The only contigency they had to reduce that financial strain is to ... shall we say ... scrape the creme off the top. Or, that's the good Major's theory, anyway. Cut loose the unproductive branches and create new growth and production via construction and clean up.
We have top men working on it...right now.
Major Eaton
FC Rapture Czar

Favorite Period Film: King Kong (2005)
Favorite Classic Film: King Kong (1933)

Postby Blackthorn » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:09 am

Cousi wrote:I'd like to thank DJ for staying on top of this and posting during the day. The devastation is just ... mindboggling. I've been to Japan. The people there will rebuild and they'll likely do it even better this time around. I heard someone say that of all nations, Japan was best positioned to deal with a disaster of this type and magnitude yet they still have what; 10,000 dead?

What is China doing about this?
I was in China when it happened (and for 4 days afterward), and according to all the Chinese newspapers, the gov't of China was jumping in and solving all of Japan's problems. :roll:

Russia? Both have been increasingly aggressive toward Japan in recent months. Any word on any aid coming from them? If they wanted to take over Japan, there would be no better time than this because Japan will come back from this. If they decide to move towards a more militant stance, it will go very bad for both China and Russia.

I don't think either country wants to own a heap of radioactive slag.
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus
Blackthorn
Wanderer

Favorite Period Film: Cinderella Man
Favorite Classic Film: Casablanca

Postby DanielJones » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:20 pm

Looks like Japan is now toying with the idea of the Chernobyl Option...

Japan weighs need to bury nuclear plant; tries to restore power

TOKYO (Reuters) – Japanese engineers conceded on Friday that burying a crippled nuclear plant in sand and concrete may be a last resort to prevent a catastrophic radiation release, the method used to seal huge leakages from Chernobyl in 1986.
But they still hoped to solve the crisis by fixing a power cable to two reactors by Saturday to restart water pumps needed to cool overheating nuclear fuel rods. Workers also sprayed water on the No.3 reactor, the most critical of the plant's six.
It was the first time the facility operator had acknowledged burying the sprawling 40-year-old complex was possible, a sign that piecemeal actions such as dumping water from military helicopters or scrambling to restart cooling pumps may not work...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/wl_nm/us_japan_quake

In any case, if they manage to get it under control or bury it under sand and concrete it'll be a wasteland for decades to come as Chernobyl has shown us. Plant life will continue to flourish there but not much else. If they do manage to get it under control, it''ll be a decades long project for them to clean up putting many who do the work in danger. They'll have to pick folks that don't want to have families and don't expect to live long unless adequately protected. I think that by the time they have it adequately leaned up in that area my son will have a grown family of his own. I really fee bad for the Japanese at this point, they have a very long haul ahead of them, but they are a resilient people that will bounce back after this, hopefully wiser and better prepared. Maybe we can learn from their disaster.

Cheers.

Dan
"I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it call itself my home, my fatherland, or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use - silence, exile, and cunning." - James Joyce
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Favorite Period Film: Seabiscuit

Postby DanielJones » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:22 am

I swear that Japan's plight just makes any problem that I have pale in comparison. I truly feel for these people. With some of the heavy rains we've had here in California in the past couple of days, rivers have swelled beyond banks, farm fields & orchards have flooded 5' deep and it still pales in comparison to what the Japanese have endured.

Japan's disaster toll rises with 18,000 deaths

FUKUSHIMA, Japan – The toll of Japan's triple disaster came into clearer focus Monday after police estimates showed more than 18,000 people died, the World Bank said rebuilding may cost $235 billion and more cases of radiation-tainted vegetables and tap water turned up.
Japanese officials reported progress over the weekend in their battle to gain control over a nuclear complex that began leaking radiation after suffering quake and tsunami damage, though the crisis was far from over, with a dangerous new surge in pressure reported in one of the plant's six reactors.
The announcement by Japan's Health Ministry late Sunday that tests had detected excess amounts of radioactive elements on canola and chrysanthemum greens marked a low moment in a day that had been peppered with bits of positive news: First, a teenager and his grandmother were found alive nine days after being trapped in their earthquake-shattered home. Then, the operator of the overheated nuclear plant said two of the six reactor units were safely cooled down.
"We consider that now we have come to a situation where we are very close to getting the situation under control," Deputy Cabinet Secretary Tetsuro Fukuyama said...

A photographer holds a radiation detector indicating 0.35 microsieverts per hour at a devastated factory area hit by earthquake and tsunami in Sendai, northern Japan, March 20, 2011.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110321/ap_on_bi_ge/as_japan_earthquake_351

Cheers.

Dan
"I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it call itself my home, my fatherland, or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use - silence, exile, and cunning." - James Joyce
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby Edward R Murrow » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:32 pm

"Keep Calm And Your Fedora On" products now available via Cafe Press.
Edward R Murrow
Martyr of Traditional Anarchism

Postby Eric Renderking Fisk » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:22 am

I've been writing a series of rants about what it was like to grow up during the 1980's under the threat of an atomic holocaust and this makes my problems seem even more trivial. Yea, I was beaten and abused by a French Canadian Nazi Runt when I was younger - but I was never abused by a French Canadian Nazi Runt while my house was shaken apart, washed out to sea before my whole neighborhood was irradiated.
Eric Renderking Fisk
Fedora Chronicles Staff

Favorite Period Film: Millers Crossing

Postby DanielJones » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:29 pm

Lines hooked to Japan nuclear plant, but power stays off during safety checks
Emergency crews dump seawater on spent fuel pool, reducing temperatures

FUKUSHIMA, Japan — Workers reconnected power lines to all six reactor units at Japan's radiation-leaking nuclear plant Tuesday, its operator said, marking a significant step in bringing the overheated complex under control.
However, other repercussions from the massive earthquake and tsunami March 11 continued to ripple across the nation as economic losses mounted at three of Japan's flagship companies
In making an announcement after days of anxious waiting by the public, Tokyo Electric Power Co. cautioned that much work needed to be done before the electricity can be turned on. Workers are checking all additional equipment for damage to make sure cooling systems can be safely operated, Tokyo Electric said...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42206728/ns/world_news-asiapacific/?GT1=43001

Looks like they are finally getting things under a manageable control for the time being. It might turn out better than most originally thought. Hopefully the lessons learned won't go the way of the dodo and become a forgotten footnote.

Cheers.

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby DanielJones » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:49 pm

If it isn't one thing it's another.

Tokyo water 'unfit for babies' due to high radiation
Tokyo's tap water is unfit for babies to drink after radiation from Japan's quake-hit nuclear plant affected the capital's water supply, officials said.

Radioactive iodine levels in some areas were twice the recommended safe level.

People in Fukushima prefecture, where the nuclear plant is located, have been told not to eat certain vegetables because of contamination worries.

Workers have been temporarily evacuated from the plant after black smoke was seen rising from reactor No 3.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12825342

Cheers.

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby DanielJones » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:40 am

Japan live blog: Death toll tops 10,000

A magnitude 9.0 earthquake hit northern Japan on March 11, triggering tsunamis that caused widespread devastation and crippled a nuclear power plant. Are you in an affected area? Send an iReport. Read the full report on the quake's aftermath and check out our interactive explainer on Japan's damaged nuclear reactors.

[10:49 p.m. ET Thursday, 11:49 a.m. Friday in Tokyo] The death toll from this month's earthquake and subsequent tsunami has now topped 10,000 people, Japan's National Police Agency said.

The agency said that 10,035 people have been confirmed dead as a result of the March 11 disaster, as of 11 a.m. Friday. Some 17,443 are still considered missing....

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/24/japan-quake-live-blog-major-expressway-between-tokyo-and-northeast-reopens/?hpt=T2

Cheers.

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby DanielJones » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:42 am

Smoke stops, work resumes at troubled Japanese nuclear plant

(CNN) -- One day after black smoke prompted an evacuation, workers returned Thursday to the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant -- employing myriad methods to try to prevent more radiation from seeping into the atmosphere.
After several days of setbacks and billowing smoke, authorities Thursday addressed issues at each of the facility's six reactors.
"We are working to resume (operations)," Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said. "We cannot be too optimistic, and we are still taking cautious measures."
Japan Atomic Industrial Forum, an industry trade group, reported Thursday that -- despite previous fears to the contrary -- the No. 3 reactor's containment vessel was "not damaged."...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/24/japan.nuclear.reactors/index.html?hpt=T2

Cheers.

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby Eric Renderking Fisk » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:58 am

Could you post pictures?
Eric Renderking Fisk
Fedora Chronicles Staff

Postby DanielJones » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:10 pm

Man, if Japan isn't going through enough.

SENDAI, Japan – A big aftershock rocked quake-weary Japan late Thursday, rattling nerves as it knocked out power to the northern part of the country and prompted tsunami warnings that were later canceled.
The quake was initially measured at magnitude-7.4, though the U.S. Geological Survey in Golden, Colo., later downgraded it to 7.1. Either way, it was the strongest aftershock since several were recorded on March 11 — the day of the magnitude-9.0 earthquake and tsunami that killed as many as 25,000 people and touched off a nuclear crisis last month.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110407/ap_on_re_as/as_japan_earthquake

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby DanielJones » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:20 pm

Well JCOM, hang on tight and be safe. I've had my ear on the news and it appears that they did evacuate the plants during the quake and are back at it again. Take care over there and keep us updated.

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Fed Chron Mod

Postby Eric Renderking Fisk » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:35 am

Guy; do you think that these quakes are building up to something far bigger? Are they giving you anything for the Radiation?
Eric Renderking Fisk
Fedora Chronicles Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Members Travel Journal